Saturday, August 28, 2010

when it rains, it pours

I wish I had better news to report. I think a black cloud has been looming over the world in general in 2010. When i tell people about my dad, it seems like everyone has a story of something bad happening in their family. Whether it be cancer, miscarriages, premature births, heart attack, or whatever else bad there is, , many people seem to be struggling to get through some rough times. Depressing. What is happening?

So, I have bad news once again. My dad was in Marlton Rehab, doing well. Of course after 2 days off IV steroids, he began to go downhill once again. His body can only improve with IV steroids. No one seems to know why. So, he was on his way to discharge despite his improvement followed by a downward spiral.... when he spiked a fever! Of course, right? so fortunately the ER is right next to the rehab hospital. He was whisked away and admitted to the ICU at Virtua with.... PNEUMONIA!!!! seriously? yes, he must have caught it somehow with his already compromised immune system. He's been completely wiped out on lots of IV antibiotics and hopefully today will be a better day. They also started him on IV steroids again, so we may see change in his mental state for the better today too.

I'm in GA but Dave is home with my mom in NJ. The plan of action is to have him transported to Mass General when he's stable. We're over Trenton as they have no idea what to do next and Mass Gen is ranked the #2 hospital for neuro. Johns Hopkins is #1, but since Dave lives so close , my mom will have someone nearby and somewhere to stay. (sorry Gwen - have lots of wine on hand! Ha!) Not sure when, but hopefully sooner than later. We are hoping for them to do a brain biopsy if they can't figure it out with his previous tests.

My mom's been laying low with phone calls and such as every time she repeats the story it's harder and harder. She's an emotional wreck as expected. The doctor said they don't know if my dad will ever get back to normal, but i don't believe that. We're too much of a fighting family to give up that easily! and that stubborn Italian in my dad.. not sure if that is for the better or worse.

Please keep us in your prayers and I'll try my best to update more regularly. My mom needs to get out and be with people to keep her mind off of my dad at night, so any invitation out is appreciated and helpful for me to know she's in good hands as I can't be there with her. Martinis are always welcome, as is conversation aside from the topic of my dad's health. Thanks to everyone who has already reached out. It means the world to us.

kristi

No comments:

Post a Comment