Friday, August 13, 2010

To hell and back....

I hope that someday very soon I will be able to have some great news to report... unfortunately, that day is not today.

I'm back in NJ visiting my mom and dad. I was planning to come on Friday but after talking to dad on Tuesday, I quickly changed that plan and flew home first that I could on Wed. He was very confused and had a very hard time talking to me. Despite my mom telling me, i guess I had to hear it for myself. Wow.

So he's undergoing plasmapheresis which exhausts his system but we're hoping will help in the long run. there's no way to tell. My mom and i have been spending the days at the hospital with my dad where he can hardly walk and hardly talk anymore. It's so sad and depressing for us, but so incredibly frustrating for him. He understands what we're saying but cant put the words together to tell us what he wants. His lip quivers and i think he's going to cry, but instead, he curses. He's so upset and has asked when his brain will get better. It is absolutely heartbreaking.

they finally started him back on IV steroids last night. The reason they're so hesitant to keep him on the steroids is that they deplete his immune system so much and paired with the plasmapheresis, his immune system is already compromised! But it seems to be the only thing that works to help him get a little better, so they went with it. He was a little better today than yesterday which was reassuring, but not significant enough.

the most upsetting part of our night came around 830 this evening. They repeated his MRI this morning and this evening the results came back that there are more new lesions! This is unbelievable! How can there be more? It's supposed to be getting better?

the doctor is completely dumbfounded... this is not like any other case seen and no one seems to know what is going on. The doctor said he is going to consult with another doctor and get her opinion to see if there's anything missing. Also, he recommended a brain biopsy to test the lesions. Of course, all of this is so risky with his already compromised immune system, but what other choices do we have?

I'm going to extend my trip and Dave gets home from Belgium Sunday. He has no idea any of this has happened. nick is graciously flying Samantha here tomorrow by himself. he's so great! and then i will stay until we have a better idea as to what is happening.

I will try my best to keep the blog updated but it's sometimes hard after a day at the hospital. My brain's drained!

Keep us in your thoughts and bear with my mom.... she sometimes can't tell the story over and over and doesn't always return calls immediately! It's too emotional for all of us!

Kristi

Here are some great pics that make me smile:

Samantha lounging around..... this is the life.


My babysitter sent this to me while I was here... I light up when i see her smile.

1 comment:

  1. love, love, love the photo. we miss you but know that home in nj is where you need to be. hugs to you and your mom. and, glad to know that nick is coming up to bring samantha to you. prayers and positive thoughts for your dad.

    ReplyDelete