Monday, July 12, 2010

A rollercoaster of ups and downs....

Well, just when I report good news, I'm back to reporting some bad news. My dad's back in the ICU as we speak. He started going downhill midweek last week and got even worse than he was before this all happened! It was very upsetting, shocking, and confusing to all of us. Finally, Saturday, my mom and Dave brought him back to Trenton to the hospital where he was very agitated, confused, and angry about being there. They had to sedate him and calm him down, but immediately began with his steroid treatment.

My mom read an article in her medical magazine that some people need to be weaned off steroids instead of stopping after a 5 day course.... these people, if not weaned, can regress to worse than their previous condition. Well, this explained my dad!

After 24 hrs on a steroid, he went from being totally out of it to being able to have a conversation again! He also read the newspaper today for the 1st time in forever! He still has a 24 hr aide by his bedside, but things are looking up again. Let's hope it stays this way.

Not sure what the plan of action will be at this point.... he'll probably go back to acute rehab at some point. They redid some tests today and are re-doing the spinal tap just to be sure he's ok.

David went home today and i'm playing it by ear as to when i'll head back to NJ after I can get a feel as to what my mom needs.

Keep your fingers crossed that this rollercoaster goes up.... once more!

Today was my parents 36 year anniversary! Although it wasn't celebrated as wished, at least we can celebrate that my dad is doing better (once again) and he remembered the day!

Happy anniversary Mom and Dad!

Kristi

1 comment:

  1. I'm glad to hear he responded to the steroids. Whew! Keeping all of you in our thoughts!

    ReplyDelete