Sunday, March 28, 2010

Oh that hair!...the post dedicated to the cow lick

Since day one, Samantha has had a full head of hair. It's not a bad thing, in fact, we love it and Kristi takes advantage of it so she can put bows and barrettes in her hair. One thing that makes Samantha unique is that she has a permanent "cow lick". For those of you who don't know what a cow lick is...its hair that sticks up and will not go down.










At first, Kristi and I were a little self conscious of her protruding hair, but over time we grew to accept it. Initially, we tried to comb her hair down with water, but then that just left her hair looking greasy. After each bath, we would quickly rush to get her dressed, sit her up and comb her hair, but it was always too late, the cow lick came back.








A few weeks ago, I thought I had cracked the code. I realized that we combing her hair in the wrong direction and we were actually causing the cow lick. See, her hair wanted to naturally part forward, but we were combing it backwards. After trying to remedy the cow lick by following the natural part of her hair, it still would not fall down. I feared it was too late. Her hair may be permanently set to stay in the cow lick position. 12 weeks of combing against the way her hair parts might be too much to overcome.

In the end, I've decided that I'm ok with it. Her cowlick gives her character and makes Samantha unique. When we take her out with the cow lick, she still attracts lots of attention. I can't tell you how many people tell us how beautiful she is. Could it be the cow lick or her eyes???...only time will tell. Heck, we should all embrace the cow lick. Just yesterday, I went out shopping with Kristi and we were rushed, I had not showered. I had a series of cow licks, but I knew a hat could cover my cow lick. Driving through the shopping center, I decided to stop by my local hair cutting shop since they were not busy. I walked in, sat in the chair and removed my hat...oh no...my cow lick. At first, I was embarrassed and explained to the stylist that I had not showered yet today and I had not planned on coming in to get my haircut. She quickly calmed my fears and said, "Don't worry, we'll just wash your hair...in 20 minutes, you'll be fine." Everything was going to be ok. She was accepting of my cow lick. With that statement, I thought of Samantha and her cow lick. She will grow up to be proud of her cow lick.

Our message to all of you is: Don't worry about your cow lick. If you wake up in the morning and your hair is sticking up, it's ok...embrace it! Sometimes its just natural to have a cow lick.
Samantha does a pretty good job showing off her hair.

On a separate note, Samantha turned 12 weeks old on Thursday. Happy Birthday Samantha!

1 comment:

  1. Hey - at least you've got something to lick! Erin didn't have hair like Samantha till she was like 16 months!! :-) I think it gives her a little spunk...or you could always just duct tape it!

    ReplyDelete